New Look K6023 – Version 1

I’ve finally made some dresses for me!

I bought some ponte roma jersey fabric around 2 years ago and it’s been sitting in the cupboard waiting to be cut up and sewn.  Over the last few weeks I’ve finally done it – I’ve cut out and made up not 1 but 3 dresses!

I bought a copy of Sew Magazine which came with New Look K6023 so I thought I’d use this pattern for my creations.

IMG_3491

I wanted a simple dress pattern so I adapted K603 to sew up my new creations.  I like the princess seams and midriff band but I’m too fussed about the additional neck band or tabs at the waist  – they would be great on a non-stretch fabric but they weren’t going to work with the jersey material so I left them out.

For my first dress I used style D

IMG_3491

As I was using a stretch fabric I opted for a size 14 instead of cutting a size 16 to 18  which I would have needed for a non stretch fabric.

As the dress was to be made in a stretch fabric, the finished garment wouldn’t require a zip so I had to make some adjustments to the back pattern pieces.

Skirt back piece with vent pleat

Skirt back piece with vent pleat

I didn’t want to have a vent pleat in the centre back of the skirt so I folded the pattern along the seam line (1.5cm from the edge) and then cut this piece on the fold.

large dot and solid line showing the seam line

large dot and solid line showing the fold line along the vent pleat

Pattern folded and then cut out on the fold

Pattern folded along the seam line and then cut out on the fold

I did the same with the back bodice pattern, folding along the seam line and cutting this piece on the fold.

Back bodice piece, folded along seam line and cut on the fold.

Back bodice piece, folded along seam line and cut on the fold.

The front of the dress was a little high so I cut this down along the neckline.  I didn’t want to cut the pattern so I’ve drawn the line onto the pattern and then just cut the fabric. – just in case I want to use this style for another project.

Front neckline lowered to create a rounder look

Front neckline lowered to create a rounder look

I drafted a combined facing for the armholes and neckline instead of the separate neckline and armhole facings which came with the pattern.

IMG_3529

Combined facing pattern pieces

Combined facing pattern pieces

I also added an extra 10cm to the hemline as I’m quite tall and wanted the hemline to come closer to my knees.

I’m quite pleased with the final result!

Purple Dress K6023

Version 1 – Purple and black ponte roma fabric from Fabric Land

Inside the dress

Inside the garment – combined neckline and armhole facing finished with the overlocker and understitched

Neckline understitching

Close up of the neckline understitching

I love this dress – the colour looks great and it’s really comfortable.  It had its first outing to the ‘Frocktails’ Dressmakers Social in Brighton a few weeks ago and I know I’m going to wear it lots more as it’s great for work and going out! There’s some pictures of me in my dress on the Dressmakers Social blog.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s