I teach overlocker classes and workshops in Brighton and Hove.
I have over 20 years of teaching experience and am the author of best selling book ‘The Overlocker Technique Manual.’
If you would like a one to one overlocker class please contact me at email@example.com to arrange a time and place.
This is the ideal workshop for those who have an overlocker but don’t know how to use it (or are too scared to get it out of the box!!). Those thinking about buying an overlocker are also welcome so you can try one out for the day.
Bring your own machine or use one of ours. You should have some knowledge of using a sewing machine before taking this course.
This course is a beginner’s overlocking course – we will not be able to cover more advanced overlocking techniques such as the cover stitch or chain stitch settings on your machine (if it has these).
Places are limited to 5 people for this course to ensure you get the level of attention from the teacher you deserve.
You will be able to purchase a signed copy of my book on the day.
VENUE Seagulls Room, Knoll Business Centre, Old Shoreham Road, Hove, Sussex BN3 7GS
(There is free parking on site or the nearest train station is Portslade station)
More dates coming soon!
TIME 10.30am – 4.30pm
How to Pay
To secure your place on the course you will need to make a payment – this can be done in the following ways:
- In person (if you’re attending one of my current classes or local to Brighton)
- Via the course link on Eventbrite
- For other payment options or any other questions please contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
You will learn how to:
- Thread, unthread and rethread your machine
- Adjust the tension dials to create a perfectly balanced stitch
- Overlock corners and curves
- Use the stitching guidelines on the foot or needle plate
- Finish off the thread ends to stop unraveling
- Fix mistakes or unpick your stitching
- Adjust the stitch length and width
- Adjust the cutting width
- Adjust differential feed on your machine and discover the effects of this
- Adjust foot pressure
- Create simple hemming techniques, exclusive to overlocking
- Use your newly learned skills to create a snood
Also included in the course:
- Tuition from Julia Hincks, best selling author of ‘The Overlocker Technique Manual’
- Tea, coffee and biscuits
- Fabric to practice on
- Overlockers to use (if you don’t have your own)
- A day of learning and fun
What you need to bring:
- Your overlocker, if you have one, if not, use one of ours. Don’t forget to bring the power cable, overlocker manual and accessories (tweezers are essential)
- Selection of threads – please bring one of each of the following colours: red, yellow, green, blue plus additional spools to create your snood at the end of the day. These do not have to be the cone style threads – you can use most types of general sewing threads on your overlocker. (There’ll be plenty of spares if you turn up empty handed)
- Stapler (to attach your overlocking samples to your instruction booklet)
- 70cm of lightweight jersey to make your snood. Bring 4 spools of thread to match your fabric.
- Scraps of different fabric types you want to practice with – we will provide fabric scraps if you are unable to bring any.
- Sewing kit (Fabric scissors, pins, tailor’s chalk or other marker, ruler, tape measure, unpicker)
- Rotary cutter and mat for cutting snood fabric if this is your preferred cutting out method. (Bring fabric scissors otherwise!)
Covid-19: Staying Safe
- All shared spaces, equipment and public toilets are thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis.
- Hand sanitiser is available throughout the building – please use this on arrival, before and after using the toilets and frequently throughout the session.
- There is a one way system in place in the building.
- Only one person at a time can use the kitchenette faciilties to make hot / cold drinks.
- Toilets will operate on a one in/one-out basis.
- The tutor will be wearing a face visor.
- Attendees can choose to wear a face covering if they wish.
- The room will be kept well ventilated
- Class size is limited to 5 and social distancing guidelines will be adhered to.
- Attendees will be asked to ‘check in’ on arrival using the NHS Covid-19 Track and Trace app. Please download this from the app store prior to arrival.
- If you have cold or flu symptoms, or have been in contact with someone with cold or flu symptoms please do not attend and contact Julia in advance of the session.
- If you have cold or flu symptoms after attending the session, please contact Julia.
- Unfortunately, due to Covid-19 restrictions, we won’t be able to visit Fabric Godmother to look at or purchase fabrics.
Please contact email@example.com for additional information
Further details will be provided after booking.