If you would like a one to one overlocker class please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange.
This is the ideal workshop for those who have an overlocker but don’t know how to use it (or are too scared to get it out of the box!!). Those thinking about buying an overlocker are also welcome so you can try one out for the day.
Bring your own machine or use one of ours. You should have some knowledge of using a sewing machine before taking this course.
This course is a beginner’s overlocking course – we will not be able to cover more advanced overlocking techniques such as the cover stitch or chain stitch settings on your machine (if it has these).
Places are limited to 5 people for this course to ensure you get the level of attention from the teacher you deserve.
You will be able to purchase a signed copy of my book on the day.
VENUE Fabric Godmother Studio, Knoll Business Centre, Old Shoreham Road, Hove, Sussex BN3 7GS
(There is free parking on site or the nearest train station is Portslade station)
TUTOR Julia Hincks
ON Saturday 24th March (SOLD OUT)
More dates coming soon!
TIME 10.30am – 4.30pm
How to Pay
To secure your place on the course you will need to make a payment – this can be done in the following ways:
- In person (if you’re attending one of my current classes or local to Brighton)
- Via the course link on Eventbrite
- For other payment options or any other questions please contact me directly at email@example.com
You will learn how to:
- Thread, unthread and rethread your machine
- Adjust the tension dials to create a perfectly balanced stitch
- Overlock corners and curves
- Use the stitching guidelines on the foot or needle plate
- Finish off the thread ends to stop unraveling
- Fix mistakes or unpick your stitching
- Adjust the stitch length and width
- Adjust the cutting width
- Adjust differential feed on your machine and discover the effects of this
- Adjust foot pressure
- Create simple hemming techniques, exclusive to overlocking
- Use your newly learned skills to create a snood or skirt
Also included in the course:
- Tea, coffee and biscuits
- Fabric to practice on
- Overlockers to use (if you don’t have your own)
- A day of learning and fun
- 10% discount at Fabric Godmother on the day of the course
What you need to bring:
- Your overlocker, if you have one, if not, use one of ours. Don’t forget to bring the power cable, overlocker manual and accessories (tweezers are essential)
- Selection of threads – please bring one of each of the following colours: red, yellow, green, blue plus additional spools to create your project at the end of the day. These do not have to be the cone style threads – you can use most types of general sewing threads on your overlocker. (There’ll be plenty of spares if you turn up empty handed)
- Stapler (to attach your overlocking samples to your instruction booklet)
- 70cm of lightweight jersey to make your snood or 70cm of ponte roma or heavier jersey for your skirt. Bring 4 spools of thread to match your fabric. (We have loads of jerseys here at Fabric Godmother so if you don’t have anything in your stash – you can buy fabric here on the day and make use of your 10% off discount!)
- Scraps of different fabric types you want to practice with – we will provide fabric scraps if you are unable to bring any.
- Sewing kit (Fabric scissors, pins, tailor’s chalk or other marker, tape measure, unpicker)
- Ruler – 30cm or longer
- Rotary cutter and mat for cutting your skirt or snood fabric if this is your preferred cutting out method. (Bring fabric scissors otherwise!)
Further details will be provided after booking.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.